TL:DR: Our Cloud Spends are based on 3 attributes: the typical product cost, the use case of the product by that company, and the traffic services by that product.
For example, we estimate the cost of Amazon EC2, we look at what EC2 is deployed for, and finally, we evaluate the traffic EC2 is supporting.
If you’re looking for a more in-depth explanation, continue reading.
To address the challenges of estimating infrastructure costs, our sensor network has purposely been built to collect details about product deployments, application configurations, traffic, adoption/usage and much more.
Our Sensor Network is Monitoring the following attributes 24/7/365 for 7M+ businesses:
- The web, mobile, and back-end applications a company manages
- The operating environments a company manages
- The cloud products each application and environment relies on
- The usage and traffic of each cloud product
- The pricing for each cloud product
Collected data is then passed through a modeling layer that appends details about a company's digital and physical presence, products in use and digital sophistication, then applies cost models to calculate comprehensive spend estimates.
Discover, measure, monitor:
- Application & environment discovery: We’re always on the hunt for new applications and operating environments. Companies launch these regularly and our goal is to be the first to know about them.
- Service detection: Our traffic monitoring agents see when an application/environment starts or stops using a cloud service.
- Traffic estimation: We have developed a platform-agnostic view into mobile, web, console and IoT traffic. When we combine our data with third-party audience measurement, the end result is the most complete and unbiased view of global traffic and demand.
Our system utilizes substantial data collection, machine learning, and ongoing model refinements to continuously improve the accuracy of our estimates.
Finally, we maintain a tight feedback loop with providers to ensure regular tuning of our spend estimates. By establishing a consistent method for understanding spend, we are providing valuable insight into the public cloud ecosystem.
If you’d like to learn more about how we estimate spends, please contact us to schedule a meeting with our customer success or sales team.